How do you manage tone and virtual body language to convey you are a team player?

Question submitted by Osayi via Workfrom Slack

1 Like

I’m a fan of emojis, a well placed exclamation mark and smiley faces. These can convey kindness over text :slight_smile:

Also on video with body language, smile, pay attention, don’t look at your phone (people notice), and in general just over communicate.

Say things you might not say in person because you have tone and body language to work with. Things like, “this is just a suggestion!” or starting a message with “no need to respond right away” or something like that to add context of your town can make a world of difference.

2 Likes

@brooke-workfrom Awesome suggestions. This is one of the things I overlooked most when switching to remote work. Now I make it a point to overly communicate my tone through emoji’s and smiley faces.

Do you think there are any instances where a smiley face or emoji may not be as appreciated? Sometimes when I am emailing folks, specifically outside of my immediate network, I wonder if I have used too many exclamation marks or if my smiley face will be well received.

2 Likes

Yes I do think there is a line. My rule is one smiley, one exclamation per email lol. In Slack however I don’t hold back. :rocket::vulcan_salute::hugs:

I’m sure there are many different opinions on this, however for me if I feel like it conveys my tone and personality in a good, professional way – I go with it.

1 Like

“Giphys” can be great!
Most times with the virtual community you have to exaggerate your enthusiasm a bit.

Pay particular attention to the tone in your email - you may be tempted to respond quickly to an email, but if you can take one extra minute to share some greetings… you will be more approachable.

In video calls, exaggerate when you agree with someone - Nod vigorously, have a big smile and feel free to throw your head back when you laugh.

Give people the benefit of the doubt when sending written communication - it’s easy for assumptions to cause conflict.

1 Like

@brooke-workfrom thats a great rule, 1 per email! I think I have done 2 smiley’s recently in an email, and after I hit send, I felt a little gross. haha.

@Osayi awesome pointers. At my previous company we had a lot of audio calls, and when we did do video calls, everyone had their cameras off. So all your pointers for video calls are SO helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Be as professional as possible. Do not go away from your general communication practices. Don’t overstuff with emojis.

1 Like